As we continue on with our beautiful summer days, it’s important to remember that the number one anti-aging product is sunscreen. The sun is responsible for those pesky brown spots as well as fine lines, wrinkles, and leathery textured skin. Below are the top recommendations for adequate sun protection:
- Look for sunscreens with physical blockers such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which deflect harmful UV rays off of the skin
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) should be at LEAST SPF 30
- In order to reach the SPF or protection factor listed on the bottle, you must apply about 2 tablespoons or a shot glass full to the entire body. A nickel sized amount should be applied to the face
- Re-application of ANY sunscreen should be performed every 2 hours, or after sweating or water use as sunscreen wears off over time.
- Seek shade whenever possible
- Wide-brimmed hats are a great way to shield not only the face, but also the ears which is an area that becomes heavily damaged from sun exposure.
Look at your skin once monthly using a mirror or a family member to assess your back. If you notice anything suspicious, it is important to see a dermatologist as soon as you recognize a suspicious lesion.
Have a great summer and see you in the office!